NeoForged 项目创建,Forge 社区或将变天

El_Trueno 于 2023-7-21 13:11 ( 9月前 ) 发表在 [MOD新闻] 分类。 [复制链接] [只看楼主] [打印]
2865 3
本帖最后由 Don_Trueno 于 2023-8-6 11:12 编辑

摘要
  • 2023 年 7 月 12 日,Forge 的官方 Discord 服务器 Forgecord 更名为 NeoForged。
  • 同一时间,NeoForged 项目创建,第一个 Release 版本支持 1.20.x 版本 Minecraft,可前往该链接进行下载。
  • 目前为止,NeoForge API 与现有各 Forge 模组相互兼容,但不排除未来会有所变化。
  • 以下内容为 cpw 于 2023 年 7 月 13 日发布在 neoforged.net 上的 What is happening?

What is happening?
发生什么事了?

WHAT HAS HAPPENED HERE?
这里发生什么事了?

As of July 12th 2023, the discord formerly known as “Forgecord” was rebranded to a new project - NeoForged.
自 2023 年 7 月 12 日起,我们名为 “Forgecord” 的 Discord 服务器已更名为 NeoForged。

NeoForged is a fork of MinecraftForge. Almost all of the original team has joined the new team, with one obvious exception, LexManos (hereby referred to as Lex).
NeoForged 是 MinecraftForge 项目的一个分支。且除了 LexManos(后文简称 Lex)以外几乎所有原本的成员都加入了新团队。

This news post will attempt to explain the circumstances leading to this drastic action. It presents the perspective of the new team however, and specifically, my (cpw) perspective and motivations.
我会在这篇文章中解释为什么要采取这一贸然的行动。这将会新团队对此的观念,特别是我(cpw)的观点和动机。

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?
为什么发生了这样的事?

Firstly, I want to be clear. Attributing this to a single event is to attribute death by a thousand cuts to a single cut.
首先,我要明确一点:这只是压死骆驼的最后一根稻草。

After the latest difficulties in the Minecraft Forge discord, I wanted to understand why Curle felt she needed to resign from the position Lex put her in - namely, leader of the project. She had done an amazing job of organizing the team prior to the promotion to leader, and it was surprising to me that she felt the need toleave so shortly after. The discussion with her opened my eyes to the fact that there had been ongoing difficulties with the team she had spent so much time to build, and Lex was the root of the problem.
在 Minecraft Forge 的 Discord 服务器最近经历了一些困难后,我想去咨询 Curle,想要知道她为什么辞去 Lex 想让她担任的项目负责人职位 。在得到这次晋升机会之前,她都在管理团队这方面做的非常出色,这让我不禁好奇,到底是什么会让她这么快就下定决心要离开这里?而与她的讨论让我逐渐明白这一事实:她花费很多时间打理的团队中一直横亘着矛盾,而 Lex 就是矛盾的根源。

I want to be clear, Lex has been a problem in the modding community for many, many years. Almost every veteran minecraft modder has had a negative interaction with him over the past 12 years. I have, when able to,tried to steer people to not abandon Forge just because of Lex - defending him in many a private conversation with a frustrated modder who’d just been called a “Cunt” for 1,000th time by Lex, or banned from our online spaces for a trivial transgression like discussing Fabric or coremods.
还要一点我必须明确的是:对于模组社区,Lex 的问题已经持续很多很多年了。在过去的 12 年里,几乎所有有经验的 Minecraft 模组开发者都和他之间有过芥蒂。我已经尽全力劝说人们不要仅仅因为 Lex 就放弃 Forge —— 多数时候还要与那些被 Lex 所困扰的开发者们私信沟通并且为他辩护,比如一个被 Lex 骂过无数次“呆瓜 ”(原文自行体会)的,或者仅仅是因为讨论了 Fabric 和 coremod 就被封禁的。

In evaluating the situation I was in, it quickly became clear I could take one of three actions:
评估了下自己的处境,我很快发现,自己有三种选择:
  • Do nothing. If I did nothing, I believe we would be watching the slow disintegration of the Forge project.This is why we recruited Curle in the first place - to try and help build a useful team, that would enable Lex to step back from the limelight and community management aspects. Her departure would cement that the Forge team was too toxic to continue to function in a viable capacity, in my opinion. We would have seen more public disputes and abuse, with more modders and community leaders becoming increasingly frustrated.
    旁观。但我认为如果什么都不做的话,只会让 Forge 项目如今的处境雪上加霜。这也正是我们起初让 curle 加入团队的原因 —— 打造一个有用的管理团队,从而让 Lex 远离大众视线和社区管理。然而现在她的离开只能让我进一步证明如今 Forge 团队已很难维系下去。 我们将会看到更多的公众纠纷与矛盾,更多的模组制作者和社区领袖会对 Forge 更加失望。
  • Babysit Lex. In effect, this is what I have been doing, to a more or lesser extent, for the past 10 years. He would not see it that way, but I have been defending Lex to all comers for many many years. I truly thought that if he could stop being so toxic online, we would become successful.
    给 Lex 擦屁股。事实上,这就是我过去 10 年以来或多或少一直在做的事。他或许自己都不曾留意到,但我其实这些年已经为 Lex 挡下了很多前来投诉的人们。我真切地感受到,如果他能够停止在网上待人如此刻薄的话,我们或许会更加成功。
  • Do what we have done - fork the project and start afresh.
    创建这个项目的分支,然后从头开始 —— 这就是我们现在做的。

Note that due to personal physical and mental health issues, I was not well enough to continue with 2 and have rather with drawn from the community - effectively 1 - because I needed to preserve my health. Lex has argued repeatedly that I had the power to rein him in, but that’s an accident of history and not something that I believe should have been necessary between two adult friends, and if it had killed me - a non-zero likelihood (I am not a young man) - then there would have been no one left anyway.
请注意,由于个人身心上的某些问题,我已经没办法继续进行上面所叙述的第 2 条,因此我退出了社区 —— 实际上是执行了第 1 条 —— 因为我需要休息。Lex 一再辩称,我是有能力牵制他的,但这仅只是一个历史造就的偶然,同时我不认为两个成年人朋友之间友谊该有的样子,而如果我累倒了 —— 并且这是完全有可能的(我不是小朋友了)—— 那么大概真没有人牵的动他了。

WE HAVE FORKED
我们创建了项目的分支

Yes, we have forked the project. Curle and I both agreed this was the best decision for the future of the project and more importantly for the community - I never wanted the money or the power that comes with being leader and wehave rather started the process of putting together a simple consitution for the project moving forward, whichwe will be sharing as time allows.
是的,我们创建了 Forge 项目的分支。我和 curle 都一致认为这是对于整个项目来说当下最好的决定,更重要的是对社区来说也是重要的决定 —— 我从来不想要作为领导者的金钱或权力,我们宁愿开始为项目的发展制定一个简单的章程,我们将在时间允许的情况下分享。

We have had to fork - because many of the core assets are licensed by Lex’s company Forge LLC. It is better forus to fork and rebrand. We will be removing those assets that are part of the MinecraftForge project, as we develop our own brand and styling.
我们不得不创建这一分支 —— 因为许多核心资源是由 Lex 的公司 Forge LLC 授权。所以对我们来说,创建一个新分支并且重新命名是更好的选择。我们将逐渐移除那些属于 MinecraftForge 项目的资源,同时研发自己的品牌与风格。

Note that this is not a hard fork yet. We remain compatible with existing Forge for the present time. Whether we break that compatilibity in the future is one of many topics of discussion. Some want us to quickly clean up the technical debt, others feel that we should take a more measured approach to that effort. Suffice to say, both opinions have some meritand we encourage discussion and adult debate about what measures are appropriate on what timescales.
注意,目前该项目并不是一个“硬分支”。我们会与现有的 Forge 保持兼容。而有关未来这一兼容性是否会被打破仍尚不可知。一些人希望我们迅速清理技术遗留问题,另一些人则认为我们对此事应更加谨慎。可以这么说,这两种观点都有其合理性,在这一进程的时间节点问题上,我们鼓励更多的讨论和成熟的辩论。

WHY DID THIS SEEM SO RUSHED?
为什么一切显得这么仓促?

We had been in planning and discussion for around 9 days - and had a private discord setup where we could discuss thefuture direction and do work on initial setup and planning. This was well underway when I received the shock of my life yesterday morning - for who but Lex themselves was in our private discord, reading the backlog. The reasons for this are still unclear, and we’ll likely never know the full extent of what happened, but suffice to say, the cat was definitely out of the bag.
我们花了大约 9 天的时间进行计划和讨论,并建立了一个私人 discord 服务器,在那里我们原本可以讨论未来的方向,同时进行初步的设置和计划。原本一切运行良好,直到昨天(7 月 11 日)早上我接收到这一生中最让我震惊的消息 —— 除了 Lex 自己,还有别人在我们的私人 discord 服务器中阅读先前的聊天记录。这一事件的原因尚待调查,当然我们可能永远也不会知道到底发生了什么,但有一点可以肯定,事情已经泄露了。

Faced with an unknown quantity, we felt that we had to act to quickly preserve the community, rather than risk all that has been built, especially in the past two years. Thus we launched our rebrand, before we were truly ready, but it was in effort to preserve the community.
泄露出的信息量尚且未知,但我们觉得必须立即采取行动稳定社区,而不是冒险押上目前、特别是过去两年里的所建设一切作为赌注。因此,尽管还没有准备好,我们也只能尽快启动重命名的项目,这也是为了让社区稳定下来。

WHY DID YOU TAKE THE DISCORD?
为什么你接管了 Discord 服务器?

The discord was always mine. I set it up very early on in discord’s life, originally as an experiment, but when it became clear that discord was getting popular, I suggested to Lex that we transition it to our new online space. At first it was secondary to #minecraftforge on esper.net IRC, but over time, it became the primary community hub. Lex was neverinterested in taking ownership of the server, even though I offered it several times. So it is my asset, and as my asset, I felt it best to rebrand it.
实际上 discord 服务器一直在我名下。早在 discord 诞生没多久,我就建立了这个服务器,最初只是作为测试,但当 discord 逐渐开始流行时,我建议 Lex 把社区迁移到我们全新的在线空间。起初,它的热度还仅次于在 esper.net 上的 #minecraftforge 话题,但随着时间发展,它成了主要的社区中心。我也多次提过把服务器转让给 Lex,但他对这个服务器的拥有权并不感兴趣。所以服务器现在还是在我的名下,既然作为我的资产,我便觉得最好给它重新起个名字。

WHAT HAPPENS NOW?
将会发生什么?

Things will settle as time passes. We should have our governance documents soon - we have good plans for a fresh approach to governing the project. We have had many many offers of support and help from many many community members, including corporations that run large hosting providers, distribution platforms and more. We will be setting up an open collective for those that wish to financially support the project. That financial support will be funneled directly back into the project - we hope to be able to help our many contributors with a little pocket money for their kind donations of time.
随着时间发展,一切终将重回正轨。我们应该很快就会有我们自己的管理文档 —— 我们对管理这个项目有着更好的新想法。我们也从很多很多社区成员那里获得了支持和帮助,包括能提供大型运营托管的公司、分发平台等等。我们将会为那些有心赞助项目的人新建一个透明社区管理平台。所有赞助收入将完全回流给项目 —— 对许多帮助过我们的赞助者,我们希望这一点绵薄的资金能补偿他们热心奉献而花费的时间。

MY OPINION AND PERSPECTIVE
我的观点和想法

I want to be clear, this is my opinion and perspective. Others will have their own opinions, and they may differ in the details, but I believe this is the best possible future for the project as a whole.
值得明确的是,以上是我个人对整件事的观点和想法。其他人也会有自己的观点,可能在细节上有所不同,但我相信这对于整个项目的未来而言,就是最好的选择了。

I hope curle will write her perspective on the matter for publishing here.
我希望 curle 也能在这里写下她对这件事的想法。

【译自 neoforged.net 2023 年 07 月 13 日发布的 What is happening?;原作者 cpw】
【本文排版借助了:SPXX v2.4.14】
【转载本帖时须要注明原作者以及本帖地址。本帖来自bbs.mcmod.cn